Friday, April 12, 2013

Quick Tip: Recycling kitchen scraps.


I was in the kitchen making kimchi (I will post about that later) and remembered that if you save the heads off your green onions (or scallions if you will) and plant them they will grow new onion plants.  I did this once years ago with some scallions that were starting to go bad in the fridge and just planted them right in the ground, and they grew new ones.


After I finished cooking I took the scallions that I placed in some cold water so they don't dry out until they went into the garden.  Simply just make some simple rows and place one about every inch or two apart and then cover with soil.  Before long, if you keep them watered, they will grow new green onions.  It is a frugal way to extend those green onions that you purchase in the supermarket.  

You can also do this with carrot tops, potato peels and many other crops.  I save the seeds from many squash that I purchase and use those to grow new ones too.  Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and free crops of food to gain. 

I just thought I would share this quick tip with all of you out there in internet land.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback, and thank you for commenting.