Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Spring is almost here! I am ready to garden

I am so ready for spring.  Every once in a while we get a teaser of the weather to come.  Living in the cold dark rainy NW region of the USA, gets to be enough about this time of year.  I am thankful we don't live with some of the extreme conditions that plague the rest of the states, where you take your life into your own hands sometimes.

It was sunny and I decided it would be a great idea to get out and mow the lawn for the first time this year as things were starting to get a bit shaggy.  Then I made some wonderful discoveries...


The rhubarb is trying it's hardest to make it's way out of the ground.  This means that we better hurry up and eat the rhubarb orange marmalade up that I made last spring, because it will not be long until I am working hard to use up our rhubarb crop again this year.


The daffodils are pushing their way up out of the ground on the side of the house.  This is surely a sign of spring.  I can't wait!


This is an artichoke plant.  It is already starting to grow big.  This means that late spring time, we will be eating lots of big fresh artichokes.  The artichokes you buy at the store are never as good.  When you pick one fresh and cook it within hours, the flavor hands down can't beat that freshness.


And finally.. A reminder that I need to hurry and get out there and pull the winter weeds.  This is hairy bittercress trying to take over my little winter beet patch.  I planted some heirloom beets last fall.  I need to get out there and make room for them to take off.  Now that it is warming up, the beets will begin to really grow and that means a fresh crop of beets right before planting season for all my summer veggie garden.  

This is a sure sign of spring!  It is so close, and I am so ready.  

On another note, I am almost out of yarn!  I have enough for probably one more blanket project if I am careful with the placement of colors.  I really want to use up all my blanket yarn, so I can start fresh, with fresh colors all of my choosing.  It is going to be fun picking them out.

Until next time, happy Wednesday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback, and thank you for commenting.